Monday, March 23, 2009

the best weekend of my life

I am marrying my hero, my best friend, and my love.

I am so blessed.

Cory and I got engaged on Friday. It was magical and wonderful and surpassed anything I could have hoped or dreamed for. Now that I have stopped floating around the apartment (or at least gotten better at it), I can write. Even now, though, I know I can't do any of it justice.



Cory's Prayer
(the night we got engaged)

God, you knew even before we were born
that -- one day -- we would jump off treestumps and fall in love..
and I thank you every day for that.


He proposed at camp, on the same treestump he made me jump off of -- blindfolded -- the first time we met. He had grabbed my arm during one of those silly get-to-know-you games, and while everyone else led their partner in a little circle, he had decided to take the "new girl" on an adventure. I heard him laugh before I saw his face... and from then on, I knew we'd be friends :)

After a sweet picnic breakfast in the dewey field, he led me over to take pictures of us jumping in mid air off of "our stump." I didn't realize he was proposeing until he told me to close my eyes... and my heart stopped. When I opened them, he was on one knee, asking me to marry him.

Yes. :)

So he picked me up off the treestump and spun me around, and we kissed, and I sobbed... and after hugging and crying and laughing, he finally put the beautiful ring on my finger. And we went into the barn, sat on the hay bales, and we talked and prayed, listening to the little stream while the sun came up. It was beautiful.

The whole weekend was amazing. After getting back to civilization, the phone calls began -- it's been so wonderful to hear about the little things he said to my friends and family while he was planning :). The whole day was an amazing celebration... it was incredible.

We met his brother and sister-in-law and their sweet baby (my new nephew!!) George for lunch.. my future fam :) They're all fantastic.. absolutely fantastic..

Later, Cory and I went to dinner at the Open Hearth, where we split a bottle of champagne and talked about the rest of our lives. We were both pretty good about not getting ahead of ourselves while we were dating as far as wedding talk goes, so it felt so surreal to talk about everything.

We're getting married!!!

After dinner, we went out to meet some friends at the classy Barn :). We played and laughed, and my talented fiancee / future father of my children serenaded me with "yes" songs... it was all slightly insane. And wonderful.

Saturday was another wonderful adventure. After Tyner's shower (SO FUN!), Cory and I drove to Columbia with his parents to meet my parents and Ryan for dinner. Seeing my parents was so surreal... mom and I cried, and dad just laughed -- those big, hearty, happy laughs... and the celebrations began :). Even though our families are incredibly different, Cory and I are blessed to have been raised with the same values and ideals.. so everyone gets along so well. I couldn't get the giddy look off my face... dad finally just laughed and said "Birdy's happy"...

... and he's right :)

Sunday was my candelight for Tri Delta, which was just so special :) We celebrated after with fruit salsa and cinnamon pitas (courtesy of my lovely roomies), and I played with fun bride presents from my amazing friends :)

But more fun than any of the parties or champagne or diamonds... is just being with him :) Cory, I know you read this thing (in fact, you requested an engagement post.. which is just asking for some sappy shout outs)... so here it goes:

To my fiance:

Thank you for being my rock, my perpetual laughing buddy, my partner in crime, and my dream come true. I love you... I love you, I love you. You have brought more joy into my life than I can put into words -- and I can't wait to spend the rest of our lives together, living our love song :)


1 comment:

Caitlyn said...

You are Cory are beautiful and your love makes my heart smile! Just thought you should know! :)