There's no feeling I despise more than restlessness -- of the heart, of the soul, of the body -- it's all very frustrating. I've found peace in lots of different things over the course of my humble little existence, but lately -- more than ever -- I've found rest in my family.
No matter how crazy they may be :)
I think wedding planning has brought us closer. They adore Cory, and he fits in with our chaotic madness (which is amazing)... so he's helped make all of us closer just by being a part of it all. Mom has been the most wonderful support through everything -- from her plethora of marriage advice to her blind trust that ordering yards and yards of hippie-printed fabrics from the internet will somehow transform into a ruffly, lovely wedding... she's been a steady source of peace. My family is unique and quirky, but we work together. The quirks make us "us."
For example(s):
Nolan is growing up and getting cuter. Girls are noticing. We had five carolers come to visit last night, and one of them casually mentioned a get together that was happening today. Nolan got Christmas Carol Booty Called. Today, he was in the garage building the carolers a ladder. (?)
Dad has renamed Molly Molybdenum. It's an element. You know... off of that periodic table thing. Mom spend half of dinner trying to pronounce Molybdenum.
The cat keeps hiding in the Christmas tree. Molly has a new hobby of chasing the cat. You do the math :)
... it's just constant madness.
A few wedding hilights of today -- mom found her dress! It's beautiful and gorgeous and most people totally couldn't pull it off, but she looks fabulous (of course). AND our fabrics came in for the wedding! We're hand sewing some of the runners and high table ties and pillows, so I ordered lots and lots of vintage inspired Amy Butler turquoise and apple and peacock blue patterned fabrics.

We're starting to schedule day-of appointments and Bridesmaid brunch details and hotel blocks and cake tastings... it's getting so CLOSE!
I'm kind of overwhelmed with details, and the long distance thing makes it feel like I'm planning alone sometimes, which is a bummer (with the exception of our AMAZING wedding planner -- let me know if you know anyone getting married in Charleston! She's perfect!). I'm excited for Cory to move to Columbia. We don't do long distance.. we just put off our relationship for weekends. With the stress of school and work and job hunting and everything, though, it's really hard to make the weekends count. Sleep becomes so tempting.
Now the crazy logistics are kicking in, too. I'd much rather pick out flowers than figure out paperwork... bleh. Still haven't done engagement announcements, even. We need to order invitations... figure out the favors (although we have a plan now! It involves one of our favorite recipes..)... sign up for marriage counseling... find a bigger apartment... find Cory a new job...
OOF.
Guess it all comes with the "getting married" territory :)
Balancing everything this term is going to be hard. I'm on three different presentations in MD, PA, and TN. ... aka lots of traveling. Classes should be getting tougher, too, which is no good. AND as the wedding gets closer, the funds deplete more quickly. Too many fun things to order and plan..
.. but it's all going to be so worth it in the end. I received the sweetest card from my Uncle Rob today -- he's one of my mom's younger brothers -- it was a Christmas / checking in note, and he enclosed my parent's wedding invitation and program (he's saved it all these years!). My mom hand calligraphed her invitation design, and she may be doing ours, too -- so in addition to the sweet sentiments that came along with reading over it with her, we had an extra "aww" moment, getting excited about the future.
I'm now saving every invitation I get for when my friends' kiddos eventually get married -- it was the sweetest surprise.
As I watched my parents cuddle on the couch with Molly, surrounded by their insane children and pets... dog in the bathtub, cat in the tree... I tried to picture them younger, engaged, getting ready to tie the knot. They had been long distance, too -- mom was in St. Louis, dad was in Pocatello -- and I know it was hard. I know they are closer now, have been through more now, understand each other more now.. than they did then.
The idea of marriage sounds insane -- picking one partner to adventure through life with. People grow and change and go through unpredictable things that test their souls. Things happen. As the wedding gets closer, I'm realizing more and more how intensely sacramental marriage truly is. It's a huge leap of faith -- a huge investment. It's this amazing commitment that -- no matter what -- we've got each other.
"I got you, babe..
I got flowers in the spring
I got you to wear my ring
And when I'm sad, you're a clown
And if I get scared, you're always around
Don't let them say your hair's too long
'Cause I don't care, with you I can't go wrong
Then put your little hand in mine
There ain't no hill or mountain we can't climb
I got you, babe..."
(Sonny and Cher -- but the lyrics ring true)
It's going to be a beautiful adventure :)
No comments:
Post a Comment