Sunday, December 14, 2008

so it's been awhile...

Sorry I haven't posted since October.

It's been quite a term.

I hadn't anticipated it would quite go this way... I didn't think any of my classes would end up as grueling as they were, nor did I think this thesis would take over my soul (which it totally has).

I'm really ready for Christmas break.

This fall was weird... it was fun, but it was hard. And it wasn't so much filled with those "YES! I'm a SENIOR!" memories like I thought it would be. Mistake #1: took a Brewer course and expected to have "fun" (which I did.. but not in the relaxing sense of the word). Mistake #2: kind of overloaded with a thesis that has a lot to it (I'm spending Wednesday trying to photograph kids to look like they have disabilities). Mistake #3: worked a pretty demanding job, then spent most of the money on coffee to stay awake to get everything else done.

So here's how I'm fixing it.

By this spring, I will have applied to my final three schools (already applied to four!) and will be awaiting interview invitations (God willing). I am taking two classes (art history and social psychology) and will be also taking my thesis (the one I already busted my butt to work on all fall) for credit. I'm TAing, but it's autism, and I like autism, and I want to read all of the articles so I'm ready for grad school (God willing). And the small stipend will help offset the fact that I won't be able to do my part time job because of my class schedule.

It'll be busy, yes. But no more of this crazy deadlines-left-and-right constant writing-meeting-researching frenzy that became my fall term. I barely spent any time with Cory (the last few weeks anyway) or myself or God even... so I'm ready for something new.

And this break will be fabulous.

I have two more exams (both Tuesday), then a kind of stressful project Wednesday, then finishing my job on Thursday (yikes!) and taking off for Charleston :). Cory comes down Friday after work, and he and my entire family (minus Boomer) are driving to Orlando to hop on a cruise ship and go to the BAHAMAS!! I'm so excited. And mom keeps very entertainingly telling me that she doesn't want Cory to think he *has* to come... she wants him there, but she doesn't want him to feel pressured to spend 5 days with our family on a boat without any escape.

We're so excited. The "no escape" thing just makes it more of an adventure :)

After the Bahamas (we get back Christmas day!), I'll be bumming around Charleston until New Year's eve, then I'll drive up to Greenville to spend New Year's with Cory and such, and then we're leaving with his family (brother, sister in law, and baby nephew) for Washington DC... we're helping babysit while they're at a wedding / playing in the city when they're not at the wedding. Again.. I'm so excited.

When we return, I'm driving to Asheville, meeting up with Jessie, and then we are heading to NASHVILLE!! We're going to play with Allison and go do all of the fun things Jessie didn't get to do this summer because she wasn't 21. aka go to the Stage. And possibly Coyote Ugly for kicks. And spend some glorious time relaxing with the Renfros. It will be beautiful!

After Nashville, I'll head back to Greenville... continue my job search, get ready for classes, then dive into Spring term. When I don't have class Monday, Wednesday, or Friday (other than helping with Autism on Monday and Wednesday). Granted, I'll probably end up selling the rest of my soul to this thesis. But it's okay ;)

Anyone know where I can find several dozen middle school students? Thanks.

So that's where I am and where I've been and so on and so forth. I'm ready to have a life again, that's for sure... I didn't procrastinate much at all this term, but I still always felt horribly behind. I'm ready to start over :) And go play in the Bahamas.

The last few weeks have just been filled with unrest, you know? I hate that feeling -- that something's missing, that everything is a little out of control, that I can't really fix it. I've tried really hard, but Furman has (yet again) kicked my butt. My spirit is anxious, and I honestly think it's just because I haven't had time to slow down and think. To just be.

It's the worst during Christmas... becuase I just really want to slow down and take it all in. I want to enjoy the beautiful lights and go see the gingerbread houses and play and pray and smile and laugh. It's hard to get into the Christmas spirit with exams around every corner, projects lurking in the shadows, crazy neurotic Furman students everywhere.

We decorated Cory's tree a few weekends ago (he surprised me with a tree. i was sooo happy that I monogramed ornaments for everyone who helped decorate it..), and I've made a point out of going a few times to Greer to study (even when he's at work), just so I can sit and enjoy it. But that's been the extent of my Christmas spirit.. Christmas songs sound weird without snow (I'm from Pittsburgh, I can't help it.)...

Although the last two nights have been a little exception. Friday night some friends and I drove up to Asheville to look at gingerbread houses. Granted, we never got to the houses (it was too cold to walk to find them), but we did listen to Christmas carols the whole way up. And we ate gourmet grilled cheese and tomato bisque and then went to my favorite bar in the world.. The Thirsty Monk. It's this dingy, eclectic cellar with really good Belgium beers.. many from Trappist Monastaries. I got my two favorites... this wonderful Frambois rasberry beer (it's like a dessert.. and I'm not usually a big frilly beer type of person, but it was wonderful) and this tart Cherry beer (I forget the name.. but it was wonderful). I loved just going and enjoying good company and yummy drinks without that crazy-bar-scene vibe, you know? I'm done with the college frat scene. Asheville was perfect.

Last night, we went to Leanna's for a little Christmas eultide get-together :) It was wonderful to see friends I haven't seen in foreeever... and we listened to Christmas carols and met new people and caught up with old people... it was very festive and wonderful and fun.

I'm looking forward to having a social life again... starting Thursday :)

So that's where I am. I have to apply for a conference, track down special olympics tshirts and rec jerseys and walkers and wheelchairs for the photo shoot on Wednesday (anyone have any of those?!), study for my two exams on Tuesday, apply to my final three grad schools, and pack for this adventurous break ahead.

I'm excited to see all of you I haven't seen in FOREVER (esp pirrana.. ach de ach..)... I return to Real Life in four days :) See you then!

:) bk

1 comment:

Caitlyn said...

Ah! I got a shout-out!

See you soooon love! Enjoy the BAHAMAS! Soak in some sun for me! It is SEVEN DEGREES outside right now... ahhhhh