Sunday, August 8, 2010

back a married woman :)



It's finally time to return to the blog -- married, happy, and so excited for these last few lazy summer weeks.

This summer has flown by -- but we've absolutely loved every second. I think we're getting far enough removed from the wedding that I'm wishing we could go back and do it all over, but lately I've been enjoying the lack of guest lists to write, bows to sew, favors to make...

... particularly when I have this wonderful husband to spend my time with.

We've really been enjoying married life (despite what we'll probably tell you if you ask how "married life is treating us" -- our answers are getting more creative each time we hear that question). We're slowly getting into our routine around the homestead, and as work picks up for both of us, we'll adjust to that routine, too. Molly and Cory are getting creepily used to each other (they're napping together as I write this -- peas in a pod), to the point that I'm generally considered a third wheel around here. Who would have thought a good ole' country boy and a "boston terrier" would make such a good pair?

I'm enjoying the post-wedding return to work, too. With fewer impending details swirling through my mind, I feel like I have my sanity back! I've been so much more productive, and I feel like I've learned a lot. I'm teaching myself some fun stat techniques (yeah, I said it - FUN) that merge hierarchal linear growth curve modeling with typical regression. Basically, we can see how individual trajectories of behaviors (such as social responses) predict later emergence of autism symptoms, versus just looking at cross sectional samples or strict repeated measures designs.

I'm starting to fall in love with data analysis -- to the extent that I've been debating trying to cram more stat classes into our already insane school psych schedules. It's just so liberating to have a research question and be able to actually answer it. In one work day, I can learn something remarkable about precursors to autism. It's an empowering, beautiful feeling. Combined with my perfectionistic personality (I'm owning it these days), I have trouble handing my questions over to someone else to analyze. So much gets lost in translation. So hey -- learn it yourself, right?

So work is wonderful, home is wonderful.. life in general is pretty great. Co and I are so similar to how we were before, but it's so different at the same time. We've been growing towards each other for so long, but now we're growing in the same direction -- together. We laugh more than we ever have before -- and even on grumpy days, I have more fun with him than I would alone. It's so right.

We've also been LOVING the chance to make dinner together (and put all these fun kitchen gadgets to use) or for whoever else happens to be around. People drive through Cola a lot -- which I LOVE -- so it's so much fun to entertain and catch up with old (and new!) friends. I've decided to document some of my favorite memories (and the recipes that go along with them) here so that others can enjoy them, too. Each week, we buy whatever meats and veggies are on special, then we seek out yummy recipes to put to use. Lots of successes so far - get excited!

No comments: