Wednesday, August 18, 2010

back to school

Tomorrow... it begins again.

First day, second year. Granted, this year is supposed to be easier than the last -- and we survived that one -- but there's still something daunting surrounding it. I mapped out my lab schedule today and kissed 20 solid hours (plus writing) -- in the lab alone -- goodbye. Add to that a 16 hour class schedule and one full day of practicum each week..

.. oh, and homework?..

yikes. Part of the dauntingness is that I know I have a family at home waiting for me now. Working late isn't just productive -- it also takes away from things I can't take back. It's not a balance I'm particularly used to discerning. ...not that I'm complaining :) I love coming home to Co and Moo.

I'm excited about the opportunities this year, though. The department is adding an extra concentration for students pursuing extra stats classes.. I'm figuring out masters thesis info.. discerning expanding my research interests a bit.. it's all fun and exciting. Let the discernment continue.

So for all of you going back to school - best wishes for a year of inspiration and growth. Here are a few yummy recipes from our last summer dinner to help get you started.



Jalapeno Grilled Corn

courtesy of Rachel Ray

1 stick of butter (don't worry, you wont eat it all)
1 jalapeno, halved and seeds removed
2 t paprika
juice of one lime
1/2 lime zested
corn (butter is enough to make a bunch!)

Place all ingredients (except corn) in a food processor and pulse. If the butter has trouble mixing in, microwave for a few seconds. Put scrape the butter mixture onto wax paper and fold to make a block. Put in fridge for 5-10 minutes. Grill the corn, then serve by rubbing with jalapeno butter. Sprinkle with salt and enjoy!!



Yummy Turkey Burgers

1 lb ground turkey
1 egg white
1/3 vidalia onion, diced
1/4 green bell pepper, diced
2 T bread crumbs
1 t kosher salt
1 t pepper

Mix ingredients in bowl, form into patties, and grill! Serve on 100 cal wheat sandwich rounds (or plain with a side of BBQ!).



Butter Pecan Zoku Pops

3/4 c almond milk
1/2 t vanilla extract
1 T brown sugar
3/4 c pecans
1 1/2 T sugar free caramel

Combine ingredients in magic bullet, pour into molds, wait 7 minutes, and enjoy!

No comments: