Saturday, January 10, 2009

beginning of the end :)

Christmas break is already over?

I'm back at Furman... got in around midnight after a very quick drive from Nashville (compared to the very long and rainy drive to get there). The trip was short but sweet -- nice to catch up with old friends, both from Furman and from my lovely summer at Vandy. We explored some of the most wonderful Nashville spots... aside from some peaceful times at the Renfro's abode, we explored Franklin, played in Hillsboro Village, enjoyed the magic of Las Paletas (popsicles!!.. I got Mexican Caramel... yum!), and briefly went out downtown (including to the Staaaaage). One of the hilights was reuniting with my roommates from the summer -- it was so special to catch up and share stories with old friends and new friends.. they're fantastic, so I miss them dearly... but I really really loved getting to spend time together.

Jessie and I also had some wonderful car conversations... we used to talk deep philosophical spiritual stuff all the time, but school got the best of us I suppose... we haven't had time to talk non-stress, if that makes much sense :) It was nice to bounce all of my Christmas break thoughts off of someone who understands my words, even when I don't. And we harmonize similarly, so jamming out was equally pleasant.

I've been thinking a lot about faith things lately... especially over break. I'm realizing that my ways of interracting with people really reflects how I view God. Conversations -- good, deep, complicated conversations -- bring me so much joy, so I crave them. I feel the same tug in spiritual conversations with God.. just this craving for reciprocal understanding. The people in my life are really important to me -- I cherish the conversations we have -- and I get really sad when I feel like friendships become void of those conversations.. when they become flat and dull. I have that same sadness when my conversations with God don't feel reciprocal.. like I'm not giving enough or He isn't revealing enough.

Just something I've been thinking about :)

So I'm spending the rest of the weekend unpacking, doing laundry, and getting my ducks in line for the term. My classes don't start until Tuesday, but I'm doing some job interview things on Monday and working on some thesis projects. I think I've decided not to take on a waitressing job this term -- I'm pretty sure I was accepted for a really good position, but I'm worried I'll stretch myself thin. If I'm really careful, I should be able to get by without another job this term... I'm a little scared about entering grad school semi-broke, but summer work will help. I just can't tell which would be more stressful -- too little time or too little money. Spring term senior year, I'm going to risk chipping into savings -- I can't earn this time back.

So that's the deal... I think I'm ready for my last term at Furman to begin... I'm not sad or scared, just kind of excited and anxious. Ready to see what happens next, but determined not to miss the process.

No comments: