Saturday, July 14, 2007

the day of rain and tin roofs

6/26/07

Every week here is so different... and this one couldn't be any more different than the last!

Our cabin is incredible.. only four of the expected six showed up... and our girls are young, fiercely independent, and joyfully finding themselves. It's nice.

One of my best camp friend's little brothers is here this week... and watching them interract is incredible. The camper brother looks up to my friend like crazy.. and they really do depend on each other. I dunno, something about it is really inspiring me. Amazing example of family.

Tonight I had an absolutely horrible headache, so I went to sit in the dar hallway behind the dining hall and one of my closest campers saw me go... so he sat outside and kept peeking through the door to make sure I was okay. Finally he came in and tossled my hair and gave me a big smile. Funny thing is, I think it made the headache get a little btetter...

That's the thing about these campers. They're such good role models of overcoming obstacles... they all have. And they make it look effortless. Absolutely effortless. It blows my mind.

Tonight was one of the first quiet moments I've had to myself at camp... I'm out in the craft building listening to rain on the tin roof. So soothing, so quiet... only because everyone else is asleep. But hey -- I'll take it.

No comments: