Saturday, July 14, 2007

the weekend of rooftops and beaches and amazingness...

7/2/07

Wow.

I've missed journaling.. and I wish I could have journaled every moment of this weekend and this morning and tonight.

A group of us went to Charleston for the weekend... and it was amazing. We got paid Friday - our first big checks - and we all went out to Monterreys for a little post payday celebration then headed down to the coast.

So night one, we went to Hymanns Seafood for dinner -- so good, but really slow. The 21-and-up crowd went out to experience the night life, so Andrew and I went walking downtown and met up with two of my sorority sisters for dessert at Kaminsky's... they were such a breath of fresh air. It's so easy to get in "camp mode" and forget about my vast-majority-of-the-year life... and they're just amazing anyway. So dessert was fun... and afterwards we all headed back to the hotel.

Hooray for hotwire.com, by the way... we got an amazing deal and stayed at the Pickney Inn RIGHT off of Meeting and Market... incredible. The hotel was historic and beautiful with high ceilings and comfy beds and an amazing rooftop terrace that looked over downtown... you could see the other rooftop bars and hear the glasses clinking and people laughing... it was incredible.

Saturday morning we packed up the coolers and horseshoes and headed out to Sulli for the day... another surprise visit from Furman folks and a short visit to Kyle at Starbucks... I was so happy to see him. Then 7 of us went back to my house for dinner with the fam... the night I took six boys home for dinner with the parents (then back to a hotel).

Mind you, there were girls and another guy with us... but they didn't come to the house. So yeah... it was just the boys and me. Mom thought it was hilarious.

The parents were amazing... they made pork ribs and macaroni and cheese and broccoli salad and sun tea and key lime torte and peach pie... and just spending time with them was just what I needed. They loved the guys, too... Nolan was in heaven with six boys at his mercy.

At one point we were sitting in the living room and he goes, "man, this party is lame... let's go play pickle in the front yard" (yeah, he's 11...), so I go outside and Nolan has three of my coworkers hauling their rears back and forth accross the front yard.

Dinner was fun.. dad whipped out that little embarrassing story about me hitting the Cooper River Bridge (... mind you, it hit me).. and mom had some amazing quotes.

"Well, I met Birdy's father because we lived down the street from the frat house and wanted free beer."

One of the guys bit his tongue and then took a swig of beer, and Nolan said something about how it must hurt to drink alcohol on an open cut, and mom just looked at him and said, "no, sweetie.. it's actually a mild anesthetic. Keep drinking..."

I love my family.

Saturday night was awesome... we went to this hole-in-the-wall bar called Big Johns with graffiti on the walls and bras hanging from the ceiling and a great live band... and Cory convinced me to play pool. Mind you, I'm AWFUL... but it was so much fun.

The next morning in Charleston was nice... ended up meeting up with Cory's brother and sister-in-law for lunch, then out to walk the Market and take pictures on the Battery. The drive back went well, and Sunday night was amazing... I was introduced to country life and I just might never go back. :) And I drove me a four wheeler, which was awesome.

And I didn't hit any bridges.

No comments: