People are weird.
I think that's about as enlightening as I'm going to get for the night.
I just wonder sometimes where friendship has gone. We all have companions along for the journey, but those companions seldom make it through the wringer of life. And when they do, they often come out tattered and torn, and we don't really recognize them much anymore. I get it now -- I get that true friends are one in a million, and we're blessed to have come out with two or three we can really hang on to.
Maybe we just value the things necessary for real relationships to form anymore. We value convenience, speed, fun, excitement... but those don't add up quite like the real deal... love, patience and hope, joy... passion. We wait for people to conveniently come into our lives, then we let them conveniently go.
I don't get it.
It's one of my fears about American culture... there are a few things that scare me, and the disillusion of friendship is one of them. Friendships seem to come and go like haircuts... we take a risk, we try something new, we do something that looks good on us... and then trends change, life changes.... and we cut that old look out of our life for something fresh and fabulous.
But how fabulous is new? There's something to be said for for the beauty that comes from time. We've gone from valuing aged wine to "liquor is quicker"....
I don't know, just a thought. I'm going to study physics and watch trashy TV. (... and I whine about trashy America. bleh.)
No comments:
Post a Comment