Friday, May 30, 2008

she's just a small town girl...

I have officially moved -- by myself -- to Nashville.. and am slowly less terrified.

It's just been a whirlwind -- biopsych exam on Monday, Cory's birthday Monday night (soo fun... we went on an impromptu trip to Asheville to a cute little oyster bar and then beer tasting at the Thirsty Monk!!) and packing tuesday and wednesday... dealt with my scratched cornea (eep), said goodbye to my seniors, and moved all day thursday (on two hours of sleep).

Driving away from Furman was so strange... I had my little mapquest directions, my roommates name and number, and the address of my apartment complex... and that's about it. I've never been so strangely alone. I left crying, but as the drive went on (and on) I felt better... I felt more free. The drive was beautiful, too... I stopped looking at Nashville as a scary thing.. more like an adventure-thing.

Which it has been.

I'm living in a beautiful part of town -- West End -- it's about 10 minutes away from the part of campus I work in, and it's full of trees and beautiful brick buildings... our complex has two pools, a gym, a carwash... (yeah, my car is definitely the only one in the lot drenched in pollen...) ... it's really pretty :). A lot of chanel and coach everywhere... but I'll get used to it :). It's just a FAR cry from my last internship.

My roommates are sweet, but they're not here much. It's kind of weird moving into their apartment and using their furniture/cooking stuff... I mean, I know that was the agreement, but I feel like I don't live here yet. It's a really weird feeling.

Tonight was supposed to be Al night, but I realized I've been spinning out of control all week and really need a quiet night... so I'm going to try to settle in and get over this panic-mode I've stumbled upon.... starting with blogging. I've missed this. And I'll hopefully go on a run soon... but its still 85 out. I'm waiting for it to cool off. Maybe swim later tonight :)

I need a good book, too... there are a lot of cool shops around the Kennedy Center... I saw a vintagey-looking street with a cute little used book store... might mosey my way over there tomorrow. I'm just not *quite* ready to go out and meet people / be super social yet. I need to get some confidence and ownership going, if that makes any sense.

I had my orientation at work today, and TRIAD is fantastic... I have my own office, and I'll be doing all sorts of odds-and-ends, but it's looking like I'm going to have a great experience. The people I'm working with are fun, fresh, brilliant... I'm excited to see what the summer has in store...

.... but I'm still pretty terrified. :)

No comments: