Saturday, January 23, 2010

science

I'm in my bed, cuddling with Molly Moo. Returned from a really fun night with some of the cohort crew.. sitting, talking, getting to know each other (more). We're at that fun stage where we're piecing together pieces about each other. We're learning things, and it's nice.

We're becoming friends :)

This week was back to craziness. Meetings, classes, homework, readings... all madness, for sure. I'm adjusting much more quickly now, though. Part of it (I think) is knowing a little more about what to expect. Another part (I think) is having the confidence that -- if I survived one -- I'll survive another.

I went out for happy hour drinks with one of my friends tonight -- and our conversation made me realize how much we've all really grown. We're starting to develop our own interests and passions, praises and faults, passions and disdains. We're becoming scientists. And as dorky as it sounds, becoming a scientist is making me a better person.

Here are some of the things I've been learning:

1) Critically evaluate everything. Including yourself. It's the best way to expose fatal flaws in a design.

2) Human behavior varies with extraordinary individual differences. We spend a lot of our lives trying to predict things (and people) that vary. Maybe (sometimes) we shouldn't.

3) Before we draw the conclusions we wish from the things we observe, we should observe them more than once.

4) Never automatically believe (or cite) third party sources. Go back to the original. Quote them instead.

5) Be wary of those who wish to spread their ideas without being criticized for them first. Be peer reviewed.

It's dorky, but it's true. As this mess-of-a-field becomes my profession, I'm owning the fact that -- eventually -- its rules and rhythm will probably dominate my life a bit. Attending to the parts of it that speak beyond academia helps amplify the merits of spending far too much time in the lab.

:)

On a less dorky note, Molly FREAKED OUT last night. She never barks -- EVER -- and I woke up to her barking insanely and running into the living room. I was groggy, so I couldn't tell if she was knocking things or if someone was trying to come in, but it was TERRIFYING. I went out and turned on the lights, and everything seemed fine. I eventually went back to sleep and dreamed I didn't live in Columbia :)

The bad part is, she's still a little worked up today. We were walking this morning, and she barked at a dog who tried to sniff her inappropriately. She usually loves big dogs -- even if they're not treating her like a lady -- but she freaked out.

My dog may be a bit of a drama queen.

Soo back to Saturday. I need to get something done this weekend, and this afternoon should probably be my time to do it. Cory's coming down for a 24 hour visit, which will be really fun. I like seeing him -- even if its only for a few hours. AND he's bringing me supplies for a few crafts I'm working on for Stephanie and Kevin's showers (I received some very fun cookie cutters in the mail today..). Yay, love.

Happy Saturday!

1 comment:

Jessie said...

I think your science-talk is wonderfully dorky and even more profound. I miss you! Love, me.