Sunday, June 1, 2008

funnies :)

Anyone want to explain what's going on here? Yet again, there are random townies in the park across from my apartment dressed as medieval warriors and beating each other with large bludgeons.... and on the sidelines are hippies with dreads doing headstands (and one woman dressed as a pirate with her baby).

Oh, Nashville.

Today has been good... went to Mass this morning at the Cathedral of the Incarnation.. and it felt *so* familiar and I couldn't figure out why... then I realized it was where Sr. Maris Stella took her vows! Mass became even more special after that...

It's funny how at home I feel in the middle of the liturgy... no matter where I am. Mass is a hard place for me to be right now, but I know it's where I belong. It's just me... I feel more alive every second. Even the songs we sang today were ironically special... a lot of my favorites from when I was younger.

The readings had a lot to do with the things we build our lives on... what where we've set up roots. I'm starting to realize how shallow my roots have been over the past few years... I wanted to know so much but experience so little.. so my roots grew outward instead of downward. They're so close to the surface... I've lost a lot of my strength that comes from the depths of faith, you know? I'm starting to go deeper again.

I spent the rest of my day discerning life... and grad school. Clinical is looking like less and less of a possibility -- it's almost impossible to get in straight out of college, and I don't want to be in school until I'm 33. The idea of law has been crossing my mind lately -- it's what my mom has always wanted me to do :)... but child advocacy could be a really cool career. Some schools have joint JD/PhD programs, too... you graduate with a doctorate in developmental or clinical psych and a law degree. None of them are in the south, but that experience might be worth moving for.

I've never had to do this -- decide whether to "settle" for an easy degree, an easy option, or "fight" for my dreams... lots of big decisions to make. Soon. Contacts need to be made in the next month or so.. how terrifying is that?

Also terrifying (yet hilarious)? A sign Al and I saw in Hillsboro Village:

No comments: