Monday, June 23, 2008

from weddings to ceiling fans..

I got back from Greenville a few hours ago, and I already miss the people there very, very much.

The weekend was so wonderful.. I don't know where to begin. Thursday, Al and I drove up together (yeah sweet 90s jams..) and surprised Cory at camp :). Going back to camp was really wonderful, but really hard; I miss the campers dearly. I miss the joys and challenges of living in that special place... I would be so happy staying there all summer long. I know it's not where I'm supposed to be, though. I am supposed to be in Nashville, doing what I'm doing. I'm growing here in a new way.

That's not to say I don't want to go back next summer. I don't think my adventures there are done yet. Far from it, actually... I just love that place. ;)

Seeing Cory was great, and he totally didn't realize that I was coming... even better :). He was awkwardly holding a crow bar and turned around and looked right by me, then did a double take and gave me a very confused-yet-happy smile. Wonderful moment. And I loved seeing everyone else, too -- some of my FU buddies are working there this summer, which brings my heart joy. They're perfect for Spearhead.

Most importantly, the campers looked great. It was great to see the new and the old, falling in love with the same place and environment that I was blessed to thrive in last summer. You will never see so many happy people in one place.

After camp, I headed back to Greer with Cory's mom and spent the night with his family. They're such incredible people -- I haven't been able to go home in a long time, but they are so loving and warm that I get a bit of homesickness-remedy every time I visit.

Sitting around the kitchen table today with all of them brought me back to last summer, going home with Cory for the first time. We were in that "almost dating" phase, and I remember feeling like everything was so surreal... his family is wonderful, their farm is beautiful... I remember hopping on the back of the four wheeler and flying through the pasture together and wondering what I was getting myself into :)

Today we did the same thing -- except this time, our mission was to take pictures to frame and put around his house (funny how things change in a year). We drove around the big trees and bales of hay, snapping pictures of gates and grass and barns and anything that might look good blown up in sepia.

Speaking of his room (not in chronological order here -- sorry folks), Cory's house is amazing. I hadn't seen it since I left (we had just finished painting the living room and kitchen, and his floors were bing re-done), so Friday was the first time I got to see the almost-finished package. It's amazing. I'm so proud of him. I love it. All of it. My heart got warm-fuzzies when I walked inside.

Friday night was really fun (but a little crazy..); we grilled out with Kevin and Stephanie, then just sort of hung out around the house while people came and went. And we tried to install a ceiling fan. Poor life decision. I'll leave it at that.

Carrie Beth and John's wedding was beautiful; everything was so them, from the impressive bouquets of hot pink flowers to the swanky Frank Sinatra playing as we walked into the reception to the genuine love we could see at the altar. As cliche as it sounds, love was in the air. You could feel it :)

Leaving today was hard... I have more philosophical things to write in time, I just need to go to bed and ponder some more before I put them out there. More posts to follow, for sure.

And PS -- internet is back! Yeah! I can blog whenever and wherever... three cheers!

Gnite :)

No comments: