Friday, June 6, 2008

wild friday night...

... at my apartment.

Yeah, this is going to be my first (and honestly, almost last) weekend flying solo in Nashville. There are only a few other weekends like this one, and I figured it would be hard... and it is.

I went to Walmart to get goggles (its too hot to run -- I'm going to swim!) and a cute little country song came on the radio about loving yourself. And I realized something simple that felt very profound... I have to live with myself. For the rest of my life.

Self awareness is important, and I've always realized its important.... but I very rarely focus on it. For some reason in that car, I realized that I have gotten to know myself pretty well over the last week. And I've gotten pretty excited about living with myself for the rest of my life, believe it or not. I sound a bit schizoid.


I haven't been to the main part of the city yet, but I saw the skyline for the first time from a distance today... and it was beautiful. But it felt big and bright and scary when I drove by alone.

I don't know... I'm just realizing how important it is for me to be okay with a Friday night with me (and George and Elaine and Kraemer at this moment... possibly Lorelai and Rori later...). I'm just not used to the quiet, slow-paced summer life. And I miss my family dearly ... it would be a lot easier if they were here, too :) I don't like living by myself.

On a lighter note, talked to mom today. Hilarious conversation... funniest part was discussing Eric's college search.

"We started getting brochures in the mail today."
-- "Oh yeah? Where from?"
"University of Juno. Alaska."
-- "Why there?! How'd they find Eric?"
"I requested information... I want him to realize that we can ship him off on a barge."
-- "A barge?"
"Yeah, you can't get to the school by land. He can take classes in fishery and Inuit medicine."
-- "Seriously?"
"Yep! I think it would be good for him."

Funny thing is, I can't tell if she's kidding.. but Eric in the middle of an Inuit tribe is a pretty fantastic image. If anyone in my crazy family would, it would be him...

And another funny story? Cory got a congratulatory call today because someone at camp heard he was getting married.

??!

News to both of us... but hey, that's exciting. :)

Okay, off to get some stuff done and have a little fun! Happy Friday!!! :-D

1 comment:

Caitlyn said...

holy crap... my heart stopped for a minute when I read about Cory's phone call.

glad you're having a good time love! :)