Today was absolutely beautiful.
I woke up in a good mood at 7:20.. and didn't have to really be at work until 9. I made breakfast, didn't spill any tea on me (part of my usual morning routine), realized the weather was lingering in the comfortable 80s, didn't hit any traffic...
It was a really unusually nice morning.
I think I'm just really excited about Greenville this weekend. The wedding is going to be wonderful, and I just cannot wait to see everyone. Al and I have a fun car ride ahead of us, too ;). I still have to figure out what I'm wearing, but that will come with time.
Speaking of dresses, I went vintage shopping at lunch today. Unintentionally, of course... but I managed to walk to the other side of campus and find a neat little shop in a more rugged, artsy part of town. And in the neat little shop was a neat little dress... and after bargaining $5 off of it (thanks for the sweet skills, boyfriend), it was mine-all-mine. I'll have to post a picture; it's adorable. It's the same cut as a dress I wore to a function last year, but its light green with a really cool, fresh blue and white floral print. And its from the 50s. HOW COOL!
I guess spending my grocery budget on clothes is the mark of a productive first summer living in a new city ;). I mean, if July rolls around and things are tight, there's always Ramen. I can eat Ramen in my pretty 50s dress and still feel okay about life.
Maybe it will be my magic dress. Maybe when I wear it, things will be okay. Maybe if I wear it tomorrow to work, coding vidotapes will become a little more magical and a little less tedious.
Who knew turn taking could be so complicated?
I did a lot of thinking yesterday. Mondays are my crazy day; I had to be at work at 7:10am and got off at 9:30pm (yuck!), but the night portion consists of helping with a parenting group (the main point of the study). This week, the parents learned about toys and how to help their kiddos learn how to appropriately play. The lesson was really good, but I find litening to the parents' stories even more interesting.
I am realizing how important social networks are. I had a thought earlier this summer that maybe God was calling me to mix it up for a bit... I'm used to having a tight, small social network of close friends. I like it that way; I like investing in my friends' lives and inviting them to invest in mine. I like the comfort that comes from realizing your friends can tell your heart by your facial expressions, the strength that comes from a close network of support.
I feel like this summer is going to force me to change that mindset; instead of pouring big parts of my heart into a few people, I have to pour little bits of my heart into a lot of people. Poeple I may or may not ever see again.
I have to find social sustenence in small talk.
The idea is terrifying but challenging. The little daily interractions I used to blow off have become very important to me. The parents I meet, the kids I work with... they are my summer purpose. They are the reason I am here.
It's all good for me, too. I always have been a large-pour type of gal, even to the point of wrecklessness. I trust people too easily. I'm learning how to guard myself a little better, to think a little bit more about what I pour and where. Granted, I'm not perfect.. my prayer life has kind of stunk lately, so I've been pouring my heart here, there, and everywhere.
This whole situation reminds me of growing up in Pittsburgh and passing fields where people would rent a little plot to grow a garden. It's like God has given me a new little patch to cultivate, a new place to get my hands dirty. As I grow this summer, I get to see my patch grow, too. Even if it's just a bunch of little plants. No big, impressive fruit trees. No shady oaks to hide under. Just a lot of seeds I'll probably never see bloom.
Ah, the invitation to faith. New form, same substance.
Back to turn taking...
No comments:
Post a Comment