Friday, June 6, 2008

yummiest dinner EVER

I'm still trying to squeeze out a summer grocery budget of under $3 for lunch and under $3 for dinner (including drinks -- yikes!). I've figured out some super yummy cheap healthy recipies.. and I figured out my new fav :).

Cory and I went to Stax Peppermill for Valentines Day, and my dinner came with the YUMMIEST baked tomato ever... and since then, I've had this dream to duplicate this baked tomato. I had decided to saute enough chicken to use on salads and sandwiches for the next few days... so this vision of a chicken-salad stuffed baked tomato came to me.... and it was incredible.

SO I chopped up a piece of celery (.15), threw in some chicken (sauteed in garlic salt, pepper, and olive oil) ($1.25), a pinch of mild cheddar (.30), and a tiny squeeze of light mayo (.10). Tossed it all together with pepper, parsley, and dry mustard, then stuffed it in a hallowed tomato ($1) and sprinkled breadcrumbs (.05) and baked it at 375 for 25 minutes.

Incredible. AND $2.85. Made a cheap "chai latte" (Jessie style) by brewing a cup of vanilla chai and adding a splash of creamer and ice....

Yay, $3 dinners... and this one was HEALTHY! :-D

No comments: