Monday, August 25, 2008

shaving cream, glow sticks, freshmen

Phew.

O-Week is over half-way through.. and I'm exhausted but happy. The staff is incredible... from late-night Jack-in-the-box runs to our annual o-week group shower (on a freshmen guys hall), we've had a ball together. The seniors in particular have seemed to mesh really well. After all of the recognition as an "O-Staff senior," the whole "last year" deal is really starting to sink in.

Move-in on Friday went really well. It's so wonderful to have so many siblings of friends coming to FU... lots of look-a-likes (kind of creepy at times). The whole incoming class seems really diverse and fun. More preppy than usual, though.

We have finished all of our skit performances (the most stressful part of O-Week), and have spent just as much time dancing as practicing. We've comandeered Burgiss several times, turned out the lights, hopped on stage, and went crazy to "Love Today" and "Airplanes" and all of those "cool songs" I would know nothing about if I wasn't on staff. And we've eaten a lot. On Furman's ticket.

I love the O-Staff lunch conversations, too... things such as "I wonder if we can get the Furman credit card and buy enough reams of black fabric to cover all of us so we can surprise the Freshmen in the dark," and "how can we avoid breaking a window at this year's hall parties." Good talks, good talks.

I think we scare the freshmen a bit, though... last night, after I was somewhat clean from our annual shower (canola oil, fruity pebbles, shaving cream.. yuck.), another staffer had a mean streak and chased me through the halls of Blackwell with more shaving cream... and the freshmen kept coming out of their rooms to see what all the commotion was about. Good memories :)

Blackout was amaaaaazing this year. We were actually on time, which was incredible considering how many hall parties we had to run to / pile in and out of pickup trucks and SUVs with music blaring and horns honking and... it's an ordeal :). We started the Blackout tradition last year... all of the freshies arrive at the amphitheater dressed in black at 10:59, then we show up in all white (strange costumes essential) and throw ridiculous amounts of glowsticks out from the stage while dancing to Sandstorm. And our leader wears a gigantic white faux fur coat.

It's freaking amazing.

My non-o-week life has been decent. I'm looking up GRE dates, squeezing in amazing dinner/breakfast dates with Cory (who started his masters classes this weekend -- we're going to be a super nerdy couple this year...), and enjoying the apartment with Jessie.

Grad school is starting to stress me out a bit.. I misplaced the notebook that was the Story of My Summer with all of my notes about programs and my favorites and so on and so forth... and luckily I had already contacted several professors about their research and programs, so I have those e-mails saved... but it's a little nervewrecking, nonetheless. So I'm trying to scramble to get e-mails out in between OWeek events, but let's be honest... an hour here and there really isn't much. It will all be over January 1st :)

I'm not ready for classes to start, but I am ready to have a life that doesn't involve quite so many freshmen :) Who all now know me as Birdy. It's on my nametag again this year, and I've decided to just go with it. I'm bringing Birdy back... yeah!

Okay, time to get ready for another day of O-Staff festivities :)

No comments: