6.19.07
Do you ever just sink? Let out a long, dep breath -- every ounce of air in your body --- and you sink deep, deep into the bed?
Welcome to nap time today. I feel dead.
I spun our older camper with downes syndrome around int he pool today. It made me happy. Can't quite put it into words, but that gummy grin...
- "I like that." giggle.
She rejoices in her abilities. Lord, she can't move fast, but every move she makes is worth it. "Every little thing she does is magic." She eats slow as molasses, but she savors every bite. I wish I could have that patience with my life.
She's teaching me a lot about my motivations, too... am I rushing her for her own good or for mine? Is it because she's in need or because she doesn't move at my pace?
Occassionally, she'll run. It's like her heart takes over her body and her sweet, docile soul fuels every nerve she's got. She doesn't move too fast, but from her face you'd think she had just started the Boston marathon.
This week has been hard, though.. and it's only day two. We have a very involved cabin, and it's not the "cuddly busy fun"... a lot of one-on-one work.
Nap time.
--------------------------------------
Well, I think I'm finally friends with one of my campers who I've had trouble communicating with...
She flat out tackled me in the activities building. I was sitting on the floor and she came charging at me... she pinned me and crossed her arms on my chest and laid there like she was at the beach. She doesn't speak, and she has few signs... but after that, I had no problem communicating with her.
You never know what's going to do it.
I'm learning a lot about myself this summer because I can see myself in the campers. Some of the counselors are settling in, and the charm of camp wears off a little bit. But if you give them time, any camper will open up. Somehow. And then the charm floods back in.
Another one of our quieter camperrs really struck me today. It started to rain, and Lord, I love rain. Singing in rain, dancing in rain. But I was a little tired -- we had a camper not want to get out of bed to shower, so I had a frustrating morning. The rain didn't hit me like it usually does. :) Anyways, I looked outside the building to see this camper dancing around.. twirling, spinning, laughing... all by herself. I would never have thought her to be the twirling type, you know? So I threw off my rain jacket and joined her. And it was nice.. uplifting.. and really nice. Later tonight I went and sat by her in her bed... she really opened up. Still in her quiet, subtle way.. but she opened up. And her eyes say so much. I wanted to know her story... I wanted to know everyones story... why they would do what they do. We don't always get that, though.. we get four days. Four nights. So you take every chance you get.. and it may take a tackle or laugh or a dance...
.. with this camper, it took the rain. :)
Tonight I went up and hung out on one of the porch cabins and just enjoyed the other counselors. Watched Ben kill a copperhead snake with a rock, too. In a Tri-Delta shirt. Life doesn't get much better :)
I need a new flashlight.
Lord, give me patience in the morning... help me to treat every camper with dignity and respect -- especially those who You use to challenge my heart. Help me to stay healthy, Lord -- and may I breathe every breath for Your Holy Name.
Amen.
No comments:
Post a Comment