
Asheville is amazing.
I decided to spend my first homeless weekend visiting Jessie up here in NC... so I threw some laundry in the car, mapquested her house, and spent Friday afternoon weaving through the mountain highways. Stopped at a cute little fruit stand and bought some breads and applebutter for Jessie's fam, and then some boiled peanuts for the road. The man at the stand was so sweet... we talked about the weather and camp and those sorts of things. It always amazes me how friendly people are down here.

The last morning at camp was good -- work projects here and there, got certified to physically restrain someone mid-meltdown, that sort of thing. A counselor found the largest frog known to man, too... the snake guy had come to get one of the poisonous ones from the water, and the snake had gotten this massive frog.. so we were trying to use the dead frog as bait to get the snake to come back out again. It was insane.
We got our t-shirts for the summer, too ... Carolina blue ... a few of the counselors wanted to die. They're not bad, though. Not bad at all.
Jessie's house is incredible... animals everywhere, it's like a little suburbian farm. Trout ponds, catfish, cute dogs, a new deaf puppy as adorable as can be, horses... it's a blast. After taking a few scenic detours, I finally got here. We had an amazing dinner of fruit salad and burgers with her family, then we visited the horse, changed, and took off to catch the end of the drum circle in Asheville.

Yep, drum circle.
Literally, a circle of hippies banging on drums and tambourines and people dancing in the middle. Yelping, dogs everywhere, dreads galore, very few bras... Asheville at its finest :) It was so free.. everyone was happy and joyful (hard to come by these days) and sooo friendly. Jessie said that most of them don't know each other, they just come and dance and meet people as they go.
You would think we'd feel out of place in our jeans and rainbows and tank tops and cutesie colors... but we didn't. That's the amazing part -- it's come-as-you-are ... even if you are different. There is no "out of place," there is no judgement. It's truly free.
I understand Jessie so much more now :)

We went to this amazing dessert place.. a little European bistro.. ran into some of her friends from high school and church which was great. The food was amazing, too.. I got this incredible lingonberry torte thing with berries all over it... Jessie got a yummy ecclair. It was like Kaminski's but better... Hungarian. lol. I used to know a few words in Hungarian. I should get back on that.
Speaking of languages.. my goal this summer is to learn a whole lotta sign language. I can say a few things already, but a lot of the counselors are really good. As we drove back to Furman from El Rancho Grande (the first stop on the Friday counselor lunch tradition), the guys signed insults back and forth in the car. Very Gone in 60 Seconds gone Spearhead. Between that experience and the week with the counselors, I can now say... how are you, fine, good, bad, hello, bathroom, and lesbian.

Yay, Scott and Josh.
Sleeping at Jessie's was awesome.. I passed out, and we didn't get up until 12, which was fantastic. We went down to the barn and washed Santana... which was quite an experience. He's definatley got the personality of a grumpy old man :) After we were done, he promptly went outside and rolled in the dust. And I learned that clover makes horses drool. A lot. And Santana seems to drool just to annoy Jessie. They have a loving relationship. hehe.
After watching Santana turn from black to brown again, we laid on the dock and just talked... so relaxing. This summer is going to be incredible... I'm never going to want to go back to school. I miss my friends at Furman, though. I really do.
So... off to rent some movies and go to some amazing frozen custard place up the road? Not quite sure :) Off early tomorrow morning to head back up to Greenville for Mass and Open House... then week one of Spearhead!
Huzzah!
I decided to spend my first homeless weekend visiting Jessie up here in NC... so I threw some laundry in the car, mapquested her house, and spent Friday afternoon weaving through the mountain highways. Stopped at a cute little fruit stand and bought some breads and applebutter for Jessie's fam, and then some boiled peanuts for the road. The man at the stand was so sweet... we talked about the weather and camp and those sorts of things. It always amazes me how friendly people are down here.

The last morning at camp was good -- work projects here and there, got certified to physically restrain someone mid-meltdown, that sort of thing. A counselor found the largest frog known to man, too... the snake guy had come to get one of the poisonous ones from the water, and the snake had gotten this massive frog.. so we were trying to use the dead frog as bait to get the snake to come back out again. It was insane.
We got our t-shirts for the summer, too ... Carolina blue ... a few of the counselors wanted to die. They're not bad, though. Not bad at all.
Jessie's house is incredible... animals everywhere, it's like a little suburbian farm. Trout ponds, catfish, cute dogs, a new deaf puppy as adorable as can be, horses... it's a blast. After taking a few scenic detours, I finally got here. We had an amazing dinner of fruit salad and burgers with her family, then we visited the horse, changed, and took off to catch the end of the drum circle in Asheville.

Yep, drum circle.
Literally, a circle of hippies banging on drums and tambourines and people dancing in the middle. Yelping, dogs everywhere, dreads galore, very few bras... Asheville at its finest :) It was so free.. everyone was happy and joyful (hard to come by these days) and sooo friendly. Jessie said that most of them don't know each other, they just come and dance and meet people as they go.
You would think we'd feel out of place in our jeans and rainbows and tank tops and cutesie colors... but we didn't. That's the amazing part -- it's come-as-you-are ... even if you are different. There is no "out of place," there is no judgement. It's truly free.
I understand Jessie so much more now :)

We went to this amazing dessert place.. a little European bistro.. ran into some of her friends from high school and church which was great. The food was amazing, too.. I got this incredible lingonberry torte thing with berries all over it... Jessie got a yummy ecclair. It was like Kaminski's but better... Hungarian. lol. I used to know a few words in Hungarian. I should get back on that.
Speaking of languages.. my goal this summer is to learn a whole lotta sign language. I can say a few things already, but a lot of the counselors are really good. As we drove back to Furman from El Rancho Grande (the first stop on the Friday counselor lunch tradition), the guys signed insults back and forth in the car. Very Gone in 60 Seconds gone Spearhead. Between that experience and the week with the counselors, I can now say... how are you, fine, good, bad, hello, bathroom, and lesbian.

Yay, Scott and Josh.
Sleeping at Jessie's was awesome.. I passed out, and we didn't get up until 12, which was fantastic. We went down to the barn and washed Santana... which was quite an experience. He's definatley got the personality of a grumpy old man :) After we were done, he promptly went outside and rolled in the dust. And I learned that clover makes horses drool. A lot. And Santana seems to drool just to annoy Jessie. They have a loving relationship. hehe.
After watching Santana turn from black to brown again, we laid on the dock and just talked... so relaxing. This summer is going to be incredible... I'm never going to want to go back to school. I miss my friends at Furman, though. I really do.
So... off to rent some movies and go to some amazing frozen custard place up the road? Not quite sure :) Off early tomorrow morning to head back up to Greenville for Mass and Open House... then week one of Spearhead!
Huzzah!

No comments:
Post a Comment