Saturday, June 9, 2007

the day i went to pretty place

6/7/07

I've realized that camp will never get dull. My pet peeve is when life gets to the point where one day bleeds into the next. I don't think I'm going to have to worry about that here.

Today was another day of training and getting over a rather nasty cold I've developed. I'm determinedt to make it go away. Had peanutbutter and jelly sandwiches for lunch (passed on the sloppy joes..).. which put me in an amazing mood becuase I love PB&J. A bizarre amount. It's just.. simple and good and yeah...

More training in the afternoon, then cabin decorating... our cabin theme is a Luau/Beach deal so we put leis on the shelves and Finding Nemo posters everywhere... orange and pink and yellow streamers, that sort of thing. It's cute :)

Dinner was fannnnntastic.. chicken fingers at camp are better than the grilled ones at school, for sure. I sat with some counselors that I hadn't gotten to know as well during the week, which was nice. I'm learning more and more that everyone has a story... everyone has a method to the madness. Discovering those stories can be breathtaking.

We got our camper list for next week... we'll have 8 campers in our cabin, one will be needing one-on-one attention, one will be a camper worker, and six other wonderful women. It sounds like one girl is blind, and we have four women with downes syndrome. It should be an incredible adventure.. I can't wait. (PS.. the pic is me and the other counselors in our cabin!)

After dinner we had a much needed break, so I threw on my swimsuit and sat by the pool and journaled and read and went by the stream and rocked on a swing. I've realized that I don't need a whole lot to be content... but alone time is definately up there. Cutting back, even for a week, has made me realize a lot. As long as I have my journal, my prayer books, enough t-shirts, caffiene, advil, stationary, and some flip flops.. I can be content for a long time.

We went up to Pretty Place at night to kind of reflect on the week and have our last huzzah before Open House... everyone talked about why they were there, what made them come back... again, everyone has a story. I realized as I thought through everything... I'm here because this is a place where abilities are celebrated. This year has been insane, and in that insanity God taught me that you can either look at what can't be done, or see what someone is capable of. Our capabilities allow us to inspire one another. Why look elsewhere?

So yes, my last night here before Open House on Sunday.. which will be our last night without campers. Let the adventure begin...

No comments: