I can't believe I am only 4 days away from finishing my internship at TRIAD.
This summer has been really, really good. It hasn't been quite the crazy adventure I had anticipated -- I settled in better than I thought I would -- but it's still been new and fresh and exciting. And while I will miss Nashville and the friends I have made, I am looking forward to the upcoming time at camp and Cory's and .. finally.. home.
This weekend was wonderful; Jessie came in on Friday, and we went out with my roomie Gillian to eat yummy pizza. Saturday was a busy day of popsicles, hanging out with Allison, and exploring Nashville. We (me, Jessie, and Al) went to the artsy/eclectic 12S district to window shop through the handful of vintage shops lining the little street. I love window shopping -- Al got a pink, sparkly skirt (surprised?), but for the most part, we just browsed and commented on how nice the cute little smock dresses would be if we had $300 to toss away. Ah, the life of college students...
I made them go to Las Paletas (they didn't complain), and I got the BEST popsicle so far: grapefruit. So now I have the fall mission of somehow recreating these insane little treats from heaven in D306. In grapefruit.
Saturday evening was my new roomie Jessie's surprise engagement party... and it was a blast. Such an eclectic group of people... new roomies, old roomies (Mandy was there in spirit..), roomie boyfriends and brothers and such... and 50 helium balloons. And two very deadly bowls of punch (Jessie and I have some pretty sweet skills). Gillian went a little crazy with decorations, so the apartment was insanely colorful and.. inflated. I think everyone had a good time :).. and Jessie and I finished the night with more punch and Enchanted. Nothing like a disney-ish chick flick to top off the weekend!
Sunday, we returned to Las Paletas (no joke -- we took Wickles), then headed out to Al's house and farm... so peaceful and beautiful. I've loved seeing where all my roomies reside... we're all so different, but our lives are so reflected in our homes.
Oh, home... I miss Charleston.
Time is going to fly until I'm back, though -- tomorrow is Al's birthday (yay for a party trolley! who knew there even was such a thing..), Wednesday is a Will Hoge concert, Thursday is a date with my roommates on Broadway (last night out in Nashville!!), Friday Kyle arrives, Sunday the nun festivities start, Monday Rebecca takes her vows and I leave for camp... somewhere in there I get my recommendation letter out and some grad e-mails sent.
Oh, and packing. ::sigh:: I've shed a lot of stuff over the last few months just because I am absolutely sick of lugging it from city to city. I am hoping I can widdle more away when I get back to Greenville.
Widdle. I like that word. Widdle.
Mm and one more thing -- I went to Mass on Sunday. God and I argued about it all day, and I showed up with my pre-teen "Fine. I'm here. Now what do you have to say?" attitude that is clearly getting me nowhere, and God worked with my grumpy little heart anyway. He's incredibly patient like that.
It was one of those nights where I didn't really think about anything -- I just sat there enjoyed being in His presence. I let my mind wander to and fro, occasionally trying to reel it back to some sanctified place. It was... nice. And peaceful. And unexpectedly homey.
In my little nomadic life, I've realized the importance of a spiritual home. If my parents hadn't dragged us to Mass from the time we could protest, I wouldn't have this home base. I wouldn't have a place to go back to or a place to rest. Despite all of my issues and flaws, I can still come to church -- come to The Church -- and rest. There's a peace that fills the bonds that hold a community together. I felt very at rest in that peace.
So on that note, I'm off to a productive Monday night errand extravaganza in Nashville :) We don't have internet (again), so I've been forced by circumstance to study for the GREs. Both of them. Bleh.
:) Yay, Nashville.
No comments:
Post a Comment