Nothing like 300 nuns and 40 priests to kick off my last day in Nashville.
Sr. Gloria Christi took her first vows this morning. For sisters, this day is comparable to her wedding day... complete with flowers, cake, vows, and brides in white. And a lot of blasts from the past.
Our old youth ministers were there -- beaming, glowing, with their two (now very grown up) children that I used to babysit for when they were tiny. Molly was there with her baby. Joe and Jennifer had gotten married and had a child. Oh, and Christy couldn't come because she is 8 months pregnant and couldn't travel.
Did I mention the former Katie V., Katie W., and Rebecca were all in their habits? Mm and Jason (seminarian) and Fr. Kirby and Msgr. Mac and all of the sisters I remembered from high school back when I really, really thought I was supposed to join their order.
It was like a high school youth group reunion... with babies and habits. Lots of babies. Lots of habits. It was kind of strange to walk around the convent in heels with a baby on my hip and two sweet little girls next to me. I kept saying "I have very little to show for myself.. everyone else is married or with child or in a habit... I'm in my heels." Vocational adventure, for sure. :)
My heart is so filled with peace every time I walk through those doors. The Dominican in me comes out, my mind goes to rest... I want to be holier, I want to try harder. I want to be quiet and rest with the Lord. It's a beautiful, prayerful place.
This weekend has been really nice. Friday night at the Frist was super fun, and the roomies and I got to enjoy one more little adventure before I leave. Kyle came in on Saturday, and we've spent a lot of time catching up over popsicles and coffee and movies. He's not 21, so we've spent a lot of time relaxing and such.. which has been nice. I will be well-rested for my drive tonight.
I just have a few more things to put in my car... bedding, kitchen stuff, a laundry basket of odds and ends... and then roomies and Kyle and I are going to P.F. Chang's for dinner, I'm dropping him off at the airport, and I'm leaving for Greenville... at 8pm. I should be arriving at camp at 2:30-3am their time. And apparently, I'm helping cook this week. So I will be up early.
Nap time tomorrow.
I haven't even had time to realize that Cory and my long distance stint will be over in 9 hours or so... he just called and said something about "trouble shall be reunited again"... I'm ready. I've missed him.
Mmm Nashville. You've been good to me, and I will miss you... your popsicles, your Stage, your music, your life. I will miss your vibrant mornings and sleepy (and rare) rains. I will miss your nuns and your academics and your country-music-star-wannabees. You're a special place.
On to the next adventure...
No comments:
Post a Comment