July 29, 2008
Back from Nashville, on to camp.
The ride back was surreal; I didn’t feel dramatic or teary, I just hurt a little bit. I prepared a list of the best bar songs I heard downtown to play on the (late night) ride to camp. So as I jammed to tune after tune, I thought about the fun I had while I listened to them live. And it was wonderful. Good memories.
Every mile a memory…
Camp has been good. I didn’t get to sleep until super late (got into camp at 2am), and I woke up to hear a really strange noise in my cabin around 4am. I am in the cook’s cabin by myself, so it was pitch black… and I heard a clicking noise coming from the bathroom, as if someone was walking in heels on the floor. I tried to ignore it, thinking the noise was from bad pipes or something, But the noise got closer… and it was awful. One of those “I think a raccoon is in my room and about to jump on my bed” moments. The noise stopped for a second, so I turned on the light..
… to find a mouse. On my floor. Dragging rat poison around the cabin (hence the clinking). So I shined a flashlight on him, and he scurried into the couch.
Gross.
So I didn’t sleep much. 3-4, 5-7… yucky. I got a short nap in today, but it was busy. Really busy. We had a lightning storm, so we lost power... right before dinner. So I helped make hundreds of philly cheesesteak sandwiches by flashlight. Mmm.
Haven’t seen Cory much yet, either. We ran errands during naptime, but the rest of the day has been pretty busy. He’s not here tonight, either -- a camper is in the hospital tonight due to seizures, so Cory volunteered to go. I know we will have plenty of time to catch up this week. It’s probably a good thing – I’m so tired from everything; I should go to bed early.
So rather than brave the rat noises again, I’m going to fall asleep watching How to Lose a Guy in 10 Days on my laptop. With a lamp on .
Being at camp the last week is kind of odd – I don’t want to destroy the comrodery that has been established, so I’m laying low, helping where I can, and spending as much time as possible with the campers I have spent my summer missing so dearly.
My walls are coming down, too. I’ve spent the summer working really hard to maintain professionalism… and I just don’t have to here. I can be goofy and dorky and nobody cares. I mean – people do. But they don’t really matter, now do they? These campers mean so much to me… and they don’t care. They prefer me not to be stuffy and serious
So from camp… goodnight. I haven’t been this tired in a long time
No comments:
Post a Comment