Tuesday, July 8, 2008

in the beginning

Mmmm... adventure.

College has been filled with it. Not quite the adventures I anticipated coming in to Furman, but adventures in their own right. Beautiful adventures, adventurous adventures.

I don't necessarily like everywhere I've been, but I like where I'm going. I don't know what I'll be doing a year from now, but I know I have options. If I get into grad school, carpe the diem... I'll go. If I don't, I'll get a sweet, simple job working with kiddos in Greenville.

Can you tell I've been thinking about plans?

---
So we pray to as many different God's as there are flowers
But we call religion our friend
We're so worried about saving our souls
Afraid that God will take His toll
That we forget to begin

Jewel
---

This weekend was wonderful, but I the whole thing was filled with unanticipated challenges and growth. I just wasn't expecting anything to go wrong, so when it did... I kind of lost it. "It" being the security of my safe place :)

I like planning. I like calendars and schedules -- but in retrospect, I can see that I have planned a bit too much... at times, I have planned every single detail of how I want my life to go... except for when to begin.

I realized this oversight today -- I realized my tendency to buffer my decisions with a safety net of plans. If things don't work out, it's not because I'm not capable... it's because something in the plan didn't work out.

So I would like to use this blog to hold myself accountable. The things I'm planning -- most of them anyway -- I'm detailing to death so that I don't have to begin.

It's time to begin.

:)

No comments: