This weekend was absolutely insane. Lots of downtown honkey-tonk bars, good food, and power naps to pull it all together. Oh, and a trip to the convent.
I'm not usually into the "play hard" lifestyle, but once in awhile, it's fun. We had tons of fun guests in town this weekend, so entertaining was a must :) Tough life, entertaining in Nashville...
Friday was a busy day at work. We had an assessment, and the child had a really rough time... it's hard to cope with the fact that some of these kids just can't stay in a room and deal with the environment they're placed in. Just one of the challenges of life with a two-year-old with autism. :( Super cute kid, though. And wonderful parents. I'm so inspired by parents of exceptional children... the grace it takes to let your world be turned upside down and love every inch of it even harder.
I love my field.
So after work, I met some coworkers and husbands/boyfriends at a local brewery... I finally kind of appreciate good beer, so relaxing with homebrewed beer and yummy brickfire pizza was nice. And I like the people I work with... they're a fun, eclectic bunch. I wish I could get to know them better, but I only have two weeks left.
Can you believe it?? TWO WEEKS LEFT IN NASHVILLE??!
So afterwards, my roomies had friends come by the apartment... and Jessie's fiance (YAY!) and older brother were in for a night on the way to the beach, so we all went out on the town.... and had an absolute BALL. We started at Paradise Park -- I'd been there before with the Greenville crew -- a trailerpark-themed bar with "trashtinis" and a really good rock band. My favorite place, though, was the Big Bang -- it's this incredible dueling piano bar... the performers were incredible... so much talent, so much fun. I couldn't get enough :)
We ended the night at the Stage... I actually ran into a Furman alumn downtown -- Brent -- so random... so we met up with him and his friend there. Again -- great band, not too packed... we danced and sang and had an absolute ball :)
Saturday morning I picked up Kyle at the airport... it was SO good to see him. We met up with his family at their hotel and had breakfast, then split for the afternoon so they could go to a conference for the Mikel foundation.
I was thinking about it on my run today... hanging out with the Danielsons made me think about the whole "home is where the heart is" thing... just being with them here made me feel totally at ease. I know it sounds cheesy, but I think that may be part of why my heart has been so sporadic this summer. The things and people that make me feel at home are all over the place.... when they come here, I'm at home. When I go to them, I'm at home.
The best part is... I'm slowly finding those things and people in Nashville, too. My heart is in my job, my heart is in my roommates, my heart is in my neighborhood, my heart is in the skyline... Nashville is slowly becoming home.
Saturday evening was a whilrwind... we went to the convent for vespers to see Sr Rebecca, which was surreal.
Every time I step into those doors on that hill, I feel something. The sisters are beautiful... their community is so happy and in love with the Lord. It's nice to see these strong women who have found their call, their purpose. And while I don't think I'm supposed to be there with them, we will always have a very similar spirituality. I have a Dominican heart :)
Rosary was really special... we were all praying together, and I had this subtle realization... I don't know if it will make sense written out, but I've been really bogged down with the whole faith vs works thing. While the two are complementary, I had forgotten that they are also independent one one important way: we fall, we falter, but we can still have our faith. And during one of those 50 precious hail mary's, God gently pointed out that I still have it in me, that all is not lost. I'd given into a bit of despair, forgetting that I make choices every moment that form my heart.
So it was really nice.
After vespers, Kyle and his parents and I went to Ruth's Chris for dinner... sooo yummy. I felt grown up. Kyle and I are getting ready to graduate, and we just sat there talking with his parents over multiple bottles of wine about our plans and their lives... it was really, really nice. And we came out of the restaurant to an absolute downpour of rain, which Nashville needed dearly. I love rain.
After a quick change at the hotel, we headed down to Douglas Corner to hear the No Hit Wonders. Talk about flashbacks to high school -- we spent many summers listening to them play in Canada and little restaurants and Kyle's living room :). They had recorded their first CD there, so it was really special to listen to how far they've come.
Incredible talent, too... their voices and styles are all unique and strong and beautiful. I got lost in their music.... they sit in a circle and each play songs in turn, and I completely lost track of where we were in the rotation. They draw you in.
The night ended with one more bar on Broadway, then back to the hotel to hang out. Talking to Kyle in person was SO nice... I have missed him dearly. It's amazing, too, how at home I am with anyone from high school when we see each other. Absolutely wonderful... and he's coming back in two weeks for vows!
SO yes, that's my busiest-weekend-ever in a nutshell. I'm not sure I would ever go to Broadway three nights in a row again... but it's nice to have done it once :). Throw in some nuns and a few blasts from the past, and you've got a nice little weekend.
As fun as it was, I got a little homesick today. I miss spending time with Cory and my family... I miss it a lot. I'm really looking forward to fall... everything about fall. Leaves changing, our apartment, Cory, weekend programs, football games, brisk runs around the lake... I miss those things. Summer is fun, but it's hot. I really love fall :)
Okay, time to get ready for this week. 10 more days at TRIAD... time is flying by!
No comments:
Post a Comment