Quick post because it is, yet again, 5am.
This weekend has been insane... girl time, Guster, quality K-time, May Day Play Day, Monterreys, Castaway... and the icing on the cake is that I just got chased down the hall by someone trying to throw their boxers in my face.. at 5:05 am.
It's been so much fun, but I can feel my body craving some down time... not the sit-around-and-do-nothing type, but more like the "enjoying the sunshine" thing. Too bad the weather has been so yucky... that probably has a lot to do with my mood :).
I'm in kid-mode I guess :)... Jessie and I played MASH the other night (unfortunately my life was awful... I married boob gazer of all people!!), I've been kicking my shoes off left and right...
So funny story tonight at Monterreys... we go for Cinco de Mayo and I order a margarita (surprise of surprises)... but I get a virgin one just because I don't like trying to pass off as 21... I feel sketchy... and the waiter just stops and looks at me... repeats it back to me twice... looks at me again... then comes back AGAIN after he leaves me the drink and was like "virgin, right?" smiled again.... He was looking at me like "Are you nuts? It's Cinco de Mayo, I'm not going to card you, drink a freakin' margarita, child."
I looked at TJ and Mandy and mumbled something about the margarita being as virgin as the Blessed Mother. They told me to stop talking immediately :)
Drinking has been something that's come up a lot lately... it's interesting to see why people do what they do, if that makes any sense. Like... I refuse to get drunk; not only does it inhibit you from glorifying God, but it also leads you to do dumb, dumb, dumb things. I do enough dumb things sober :) I don't need any other reason to be goofy.
At the same time, though... drinking is a cultural thing. I'm German and Irish. I descend from two long lines of enthusiastic Catholics who were often as enthusiastically alcoholic. Having a beer or a glass of wine has never been a big deal in my house -- so if I'm out and about or hanging out with the fam, I'll have a drink. I never really have much desire for any more than that (praise God), and I never have the desire to lose myself in the craft.
So if I get called a "dark delt" for drinking a beer one more time... the poor soul is going down :).
Sorry, random rant... it's just silly. It fascinates me how often we make rash judgements based on what people are doing, rather than why they are doing it or how they are doing it. Not just with drinking, either.. obviously. Something as simple as being grouchy or spending more time with one friend than another or changing a lifestlye or trying something new... it amazes me how judgemental people can be.
Now, I have no problem with having an opinion about something and thinking that you are right -- absolute truth is out there, and it's kickin'. Dialogue with people who don't agree with you should challenge your opinions, implant in you a desire to grow more, give you new ways to look at your own ideas. Dialogue doesn't require change.. there is no winner. It encourages growth, development. Sometimes it reveals that two people are more similar than they thought.. sometimes it brings out the differences. Regardless, its the glue that holds all of this madness together.
Okay, I'm done :) Dear bed, I miss you...
No comments:
Post a Comment