We just finished up the Pi Kappa Phi empathy dessert.
I'm in love with Spearhead already.
One of the regular campers and her family came to the dessert to talk about living with a disability and raising a child with a disability. Her parents had a really interesting perspective on their experiences -- listening to her mom talk about putting effort into her daughter's appearance because she is stared at so often struck something in my heart. For some reason, I got that warm fuzzy feeling you get when something exciting is about to happen... I just had this wave of reassurance that Spearhead is really where I'm supposed to be.
Her parents talked a lot about honoring their daughter's decisions and passions, giving her as many opportunities as they can... and watching the three of them light up when they talk about her accomplishments was heart warming. It goes back to JPII's dignity of life emphasis -- bringing dignity to people by helping them take care of themselves brings about a fruitful life. From their stories, it was more than clear that the camper had influenced so many peoples' lives. That's what I want to do with my life. And that's what I get to do with my summer.
Her parents said over and over that their daughter found lifelong friends at Spearhead -- that it was the only place outside of their home where she was valued. Her friends were there, her life was there... she looked forward to the weekend programs to see everyone again.
If that's the story of one camper, I can't wait to meet the rest of them.
:)
No comments:
Post a Comment