So my Clemson kids are heading back to Charleston today.
It's weird to think that I'm not going to be home this summer... I didn't even really ask my parents about it, I just kind of realized that I need to be moving on with life and doing something I'm passionate about.. other than sitting on a beach drinking pina coladas with the girls :) My parents support me... mostly. Really, I think they know what I'm thinking. I think everyone does. It's time.
I decided to spend the summer working at Camp Spearhead, a camp for people with disabilities located about 35 minutes away from Furman. It's really my dream job -- I'll be in a cabin with 2 other counselors (maybe just one? I don't really know...) and 6-8 campers with varied abilities. I really know nothing about the job itself... I've been gleaning info from Scott and Josh, and that's about it. I did Teen Buddies in Mt. Pleasant for 5 years, so I think I'm sort of prepared for what to expect... but a live-in situation is so much different than a day camp.
I never went to overnight camp as a kid, and I lack any outdoor skills (although I loooove being outside!)... so it should be interesting. The whole no phone/internet thing will be fun, too... very Search-esque. I'm just excited about pouring my heart into the campers -- learning from their experiences, making some new friends... it will be wonderful. Good discernment as far as future jobs go, too... my dream would be to open a clinical health psych practice for teens with disabilities. I'm excited.
So yes, what nerves?
Oh, yes... those nerves that come from leaving all that you know behind and taking off for a summer to do who-knows-what :). I love living life a little bit on the edge, though... and that sounds like camp. I don't want to settle for another summer of waiting tables and getting caught up in high school drama (not that I don't love those guys...). My home is my family, but my home isn't high school anymore.
It's so good for me to have this huge unpredictable summer ahead of me, too -- I'm such a planner, but I live for spontanaity (been trying to figure that out for awhile...), so really I should stop whining and get excited. This is my dream job, my dream summer... I really am stoked.
... could they maybe send a packing list, though?
:)
No comments:
Post a Comment